March 29, 2010

Searching for Answers

This is something I've struggled with for at least the past 2 years and as much as I hate to admit it, I'm desperately searching for some answers.   No, it's not my addiction to sweets.  Trust me, that's something that I will never be able to cure.  Unless they come up with a show called "Intervention - I Can't Curb the Urge to Bake".  Not sure it would get many viewers though.

My real struggle comes with my food photography.  Here in the desert, houses are not made to accomodate natural light.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.  We like to hole up in our dark houses in all hope to avoid those 115+ summer temps.  We don't have huge windows.  Most of the windows have shade screens anyway, limiting the light that comes in to almost zilch.  And about 95% of the time we like it that way. 

At my house (and I use my very loosely considering nothing about it is mine) the kitchen is right in the middle of the house.  This gives little if any access to natural light for photography purposes.  I have the Lowel table lights, which are great for finished products.  Wait.  At this point I have to admit that while I was given these lights for christmas, I've only used one of them once.  I blame life...and a broken lightbulb.  So assuming that I have used them, this light issue still makes it extremely difficult to do step-by-step shots in a kitchen filled with artificial light.

So here's my question to you all...

How do I possibly improve my step-by-step or even finished product photography using little to no natural light? 

Please post any ideas you have to the comments section.  Any ideas at all.  Please.  Pretty please with a cherry on top.  Danke!   

1 comment:

Ingram Gang said...

Our house has the same "issues". For me, the problem area is our living room that is located in the center of the house which is where my children play and the are the subjects that I want to photograph. Hope you get some great tips so I can learn too! :)