May 21, 2010

"Magic" Monster Cookies

the perfect cookies

Yes, I’m still alive, and no, aliens haven’t kidnapped me. I could say that I’d won the lottery and was plotting how to spend my winnings, but I’ll be honest. The past month or so has been super stressful and busy. I know you probably don’t care about my personal strife, and all you really want is good stories, recipes, and photos, so I’ll spare you the downing details. I’m trying instead to focus on rainbows and puppies and cupcakes.

No fear, I am trying my best to get back to entertaining my two readers full-time. I know that I promised a fun breakfast food recipe, but you’ll have to wait another week or so. I do have a fun recipe today though, and it’s one of my all-time favorites.

halfway done

There’s a funny and timely story to go along with these cookies however, so let’s start with that. I first made this recipe, courtesy of Bake or Break, when Captain America was training with the Marine Corps. I wanted to send him and his roommates something that would hold up well in the mail. Needless to say the recipe was so good I couldn’t stop eating them and was literally removing more from the package as I was sealing it up. Let the addiction begin.

One day since I moved back home, my mom was looking for a recipe to make to bring to her clinic. She’s a nurse and the doctors (and nurses) love sweets. I suggested these same cookies b/c we had most of the ingredients. They were a hit, but since they make so many she kept some at home for us. One day she had one before she went for her swim workout, she was training for a triathlon, and she said that she had the best swim to date. And it was all because of that cookie! We laughed but agreed that they held some sort of special power. She froze some and would eat them occasionally before a workout.

cheers

This brings us to Sunday, when my mom and her friend Heather raced in their first triathlon, and of course she made monster cookies the day before so she could fuel up. I am so proud of her! She finished, even though she had a slight issue on the swim. So if you are training for a big race, or just looking for an amazing cookie, I highly suggest these. The recipe makes quite a few, so be prepared to be baking for a while. Or, simply freeze the dough to make more later. Enjoy, and congratulations again Mom!

Monster Cookies
3 large eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon corn syrup
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 & 1/2 cups chunky peanut butter (I use creamy since I don’t like crunchy)
4 & 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup butterscotch chips
3/4 cup mini M&Ms

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease/spray/line baking sheets. Combine eggs, both sugars, vanilla, corn syrup, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add melted butter. Next add peanut butter, oats, and flour and mix thoroughly. Stir in the chips and M&Ms. Let the dough rest for about 30 minutes to allow the oats to absorb the butter.
Drop the dough onto baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Note: I’ve made these cookies in all different sizes. If you choose to make a larger size, hence the word “monster”, I suggest flattening the dough slightly before putting the cookies in the oven. These cookies do not spread much!

all the ingredients



2 comments:

Lisa Pedigo said...

Congratulations Jennie!! I am so proud of you. You truly are an inspiration.

Janelle-great pictures, the cookies look and sound delicious.

Mom said...

Thanks, Lisa, for the congrats. It was a tough swim, but I truly believe these cookies helped me to become confident during my swim training. Or, maybe, it was a way to justify eating so many of these yummy cookies.
An even bigger thanks to Janelle for introducing me to these Magical Monster Cookies.