June 11, 2010

Pop-Tarts ala Homemade

completely homemade

Here's that recipe I promised you a long time ago.  Sorry about that.  When it comes to breakfast food, I like it all. I could actually live solely on breakfast items if I wanted to. When I was younger, pop-tarts were considered a treat. My dad liked the frosted brown sugar cinnamon ones, so that's what we usually had. Either that, frosted strawberry or frosted cherry. Back then, I'm not sure there were many more flavors.

I still like pop-tarts just as much as ever, the only difference is I can eat a lot more of them in one sitting that I used to. Let's just say that there may have been at least once instance where I ate an entire box. Please don't judge...yes I realize that was a poor dietary decision, and no, I don't care.

At some point in the past few weeks, I had this bubble of thought enter my head that I needed to make pop-tarts from scratch. My mom had some extra pie dough, and since brown sugar cinnamon were always my favorite, I decided to start with those. This was my first shot, but stay tuned, because I'd like to try again with a different crust. The issue with pie crust is the puffing and rising factor. The filling was almost dead-on, and let's get real, you cannot create the pop-tart frosting in a home kitchen, at least not without chemicals. Everyone that ate them (mom, dad, grandpa, and aunt) loved them. Please make them soon, if nothing else it's fun to say you made homemade pop-tarts.

Crust:
Any homemade or refrigerated dough will do.

Brown-Sugar Cinnamon Filling:
1 Egg White at room temp
3/4 C. Powdered Sugar
1/4 C. Almond slivers or slices
1/4 C. Brown sugar
1 T. Cinnamon
In food processor, combine all ingredients and blend until well combined.

Assembly:
Roll the dough into a rough square, dusting with flour, until 1/8" thick. Cut dough into 4"x6" rectangles. Pair the rectangles for tops and bottoms. Brush the edges of your bottom with a whisked egg. Place a large dollop of filling on inside the egg wash, then spread it evenly. The amount of filling is up to you, but you can see in the pic below how much I did. Place the top sheet of dough on top and press firmly but gently onto the bottom sheet. Bake at 450F for about 7-8 minutes or until slightly brown.

check out the filling


No comments: